Sunday, November 14, 2010

"...and found out she was raped and got pregnant."

A good friend of mine is a phlebotomist, and though quite furious he sent me the following text message last night.

"Just walked into a moms room to get blood and as soon as I saw her I felt incredibly bad for her for some reason. She had a lazy eye with badly bent glasses and was mildly retarded. Couldn't speak any English but she was still all smiles. I noticed she didn't have any family or friends in the room either. As I was leaving I overheard nurses talking about her and found out she was raped and got pregnant. I've never been so upset in my life. I'm still almost crying out of disgust."

My heart broke and tears filled my eyes as I tried to digest the above text. I'm still not sure if my brain has fully accepted the reality. Something that caught my attention was, "...but she was still all smiles." Those six words stung deep in my soul and as I then read, "I'm still almost crying in disgust," my heart broke even more.

I found the following quote and feel it suites this blog well...


“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” -Elie Wiesel

No comments:

Post a Comment