Monday, July 5, 2010

it only takes one to change the world.

Fear grips the lives and hearts of the people in Kosovo; the need to survive is great. 97% of the population is Muslim and the thirst and hunger for the true word of God is far more than we could ever imagine. Above ground graves are a constant reminder of the many deaths from the war that tore through this beautiful country. People walk from village to village/town to town their heads hanging low and their facial expressions grim. Young children, most under the age of 5, are sent by their mothers to beg for money and food. Some hold signs, others look straight into your eyes and as your heart shatters, saying "no" while choking back tears of guilt, brings you to a place of silence. Driving through the town and to near by villages homes are unfinished, some have visible marks from gun shots, and others are used to keep hay, dry clothes, or are vacant. 50% of the Kosovo population are without jobs and the cost of different items is very cheap. I bought lunch for myself and 2 other girls at one point and the total amount was 8euros, which is less than $7 in the USA. Less than $7 for 3 people to eat and here in the USA sometimes one person pays around $10 for food.

KERCE [JUMP] was the kids event we held Tuesday-Thursday near a village about 20min from the town we stayed in. On the first day I had no idea what to expect and as we drove up I saw a few kids wandering about. I was looking around at the inside of the school Service International [the group I was with] built for these children as well as talking to another group member and I mentioned how not very many kids were not at KERCE yet. She said something to me, I walked to the 2nd story classroom window, and below I was captivated by hundreds of children from all ages standing in lines almost completely silent because they were so anxious/excited to be at KERCE 2010. Seeing all the children moved me in a way I will never forget and will forever be engraved on my heart.
Throughout the week there were countless salvations, relationships formed, and without a doubt more children/families know about Jesus Christ and his love for them.

I am forever changed.



No comments:

Post a Comment